I am Blessed Beyond Measure!

'3seams' partners with an organization called Healing Haiti. In fact, my house is owned by them and right next to their guest house. Each week they have a different team come and when I'm not busy I enjoy hanging out with these teams. Our ladies do not work on Wednesdays, so today I tagged along.

In the morning we went to a Home for Sick and Dying Babies (and Children). Going in, I did not really know what to expect, but knew we were going to get to love on babies, so I was in! Upon entering, we came into a room full of sick babies in cribs. Most people started picking them up so I headed upstairs to where the older children and more healthy babies are. Upon reaching the top of the stairs little Ronnie was waiting for me with her arms outstreached. How could I pass up that opportunity? She wouldn't say much and was quiet when I asked her questions, but she didn't let me put her down. I loved on her until she fell asleep. Shortly before that happened another little girl came and I invited her to sit on my lap as well. They both fell asleep and I hugged them and rubbed thier hair the whole time. We then laid them down and I found many others to play with. One girl pointed to a picture of Jesus and said "Sa Jezi" That's Jesus). I asked her if she liked Jesus and she said yes with a big smile. Priceless. Eventually we left and went to Gertrudes.

This is where God showed up for me. Gertrudes is a place for disabled kids to live. Most of them are not orphans, but require a lot of special care. I found a room where there were two boys probably 11 or 12 sitting on the floor. They didn't appear to be able to do anything, but for some reason I was drawn to them. One was Joseph and the other was Michael. And they loved to hold hands. Luckily, I have two of them and there were two of them. When we weren't holding hands, I found myself rubbing thier arms and legs, letting them know that they were loved and cared for. Pretty soon another little boy came in, probably 6ish and he was full of joy! He had a watter bottle with a little bit of water in it and smiled with the biggest smile ever when it was shaken. He loved being tickled and loved handing me random shoes he could find. He couldn't talk and the caretakers had left the room, so I never got his name. His joy overflowed into my life and he gave me a huge smile. He was such a cute, fun loving boy.

At the same time the boy full of joy came in an older boy (probably 13 or 14) came in and just sat in the corner. He could do about the same amount as the other two--not much. I couldn't quite tell if he liked it when I touched him and gave him attention or didn't like it. After a while, I reached out my hand and held his for the longest time. I looked over at what the other kids were doing and looked back and he was smiling! Before, he had sorrow in his eyes and I thought he looked like he could cry. It brought a smile to my face to see him smiling. But, as soon as he saw me looking at him, his smile faded. I continued holding his hand and going back and forth between holding the other two boys' hands.

Sitting there, I wished so bad I could know what they were thinking. I wanted to know what they wanted to do, if they wanted to go outside, how they were feeling etc., but they could not communicate any of that to me. As I was thinking about this I looked over and Michael had his arm outstreached upward, his teeth grinding, and his eyes in the direction of his hands. It looked as though he was praising God. That made my heart melt as I realized that the one who can supply all of his needs knew exactly what he wanted and needed. At that point I could not help but thank God for this amazing opportunity to be here and do these things. Tears began to well up with love for these boys who gave me nothing but love in return. By the end of the time, Michael had given me a hug by leaning over and putting his head in my lap and his arms around me (as best he could). I saw God through these boys. They have a purpose in this world and today they changed my life.

Soon after that another little boy came and grabbed my hands and took me outside. I pushed him on the swing and then held him as we sang songs before we had to leave. He was a cuties and I loved being able to practice my Creole with him.

After we left we went back to the home. I picked up a baby in that first room and took her outside to love. Shortly after someone came and got her (I'm guessing her mom, as they are required to come visit daily). I went in and got another one. This one was wrapped in a blanket and had a feeding tube. She was so precious at just 7 months old. She was babbling away in between coughs and raspy breaths. It was so good to love on her and hold her. When someone came around to feed her through the tube she spit up almost everything she was given. I loved her even more. I could not help but pray that she's able to get enough nourishment to live a long and full life. Eventually she fell asleep and i put her back in her crib and went upstairs and played with many kids up there.

I would have to sum up today by saying I'm blessed. I know many people do not get the opportunity I have (even though I wish everyone would), and I'm lucky. Lask post, I said something about how I don't like people saying they could never live here or they are impressed with what I am doing... well, they are are the ones that are missing out. There is no other place I would rather be (I just wish my friends and family could be here as well). I am blessed. Thank you God for planning out my life better than I could have ever done. I love where I am and who I am becoming. It was such an incredible expereience to spend all day with kids who were sick, dying, diseased, or disabled. The whole day I prayed that these children would know how much God loves them and cares for them. Doing so, only made me love them more easily. These kids have taught me a lot today. Having a disabled child is seen as a curse in Haiti, but these disabled children showed me a bit more of God today. I am blessed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Worlds of Medical Care

All I Really Want For Christmas

A little bit of a lot --Haiti thoughts, A Water Truck Run, How lucky I am, and Encouragement