A Haitian Church Experience and other things

This morning I had the incredible opportunity to attend a Haitian church. I never thought about going to one before because I wouldn't be able to understand much of it, but the teams have said it was an incredible experience so I thought I would give it a try. They were right.

Walking to church we saw an incredible sunrise (church starts at 6am) and that was only the beginning. After a bit of a journey, we reached the top of a hill where the church happening in a tent was within view. We could hear them singing a song in English--"I give myself to you". Such an incredible song to start with. Then all of a sudden we heard kids voices shouting the song so loud (they were leading worship with the main leader). Such an incredible thing to hear. Children singing about giving their all to Christ. I could not help but pray that these words ring true the rest of thier lives.

In a Haitian church, they know how to worship. All service long they are pacing the isles, hands held high, singing, jumping, and praising God. Their prayers are said with so much meaning and last a long time. Witnessing these acts only led me to more prayer that these Haitians will all impact Haiti with God's love--with the same energy they were putting forth in this worship service. That they would impact at least one other person to be real with their faith and that Satan would no longer win. I prayed that they would not serve two masters, but only one. I prayed harder than I had ever prayed before for this country and their faith in God.

We later moved into the song "Let it Rain". This song brought tears to my eyes as I had prayed and prayed for the Holy Spirit to rain down all over Haiti. Over every man, woman, and child--Haitian, missionary, businessman, teacher, etc. That he would be evident and apparent through everything that went on. I think I might have cried more this morning that I had ever cried in a church service before. After this song ended, they led into prayer about God raining down all over Haiti--from the north to the south, the east to the west, the left to the right (this was one of the biggest parts of the service I could understand :)) and it brought peace and hope to me because he was praying the same prayer I had just prayed.

Shortly after that we started singing "I am Free" and with tears still stinging my eyes I had a huge smile on my face knowing we were free. Knowing the whole country of Haiti was free. It was so great to hear the people of Haiti sing these songs--giving their life, letting it rain, and then being free! So encouraging. The Holy Spirit was definately present this morning. And it gives me great joy to know that He is present all throughout Haiti as well.

In the later afternoon we went back to the Home for Sick and Dying Babies and I immediately went to love on the little baby I had held two days before. She was looking so much better than before. She was no longer wrapped in a blanket and she had life in her eyes. As I reached in her crib to pick her up she reached out her arms to me :) She was sucking on her thumb (two days prior she had rags over her hands, probably to prevent her from pulling out her feeding tube). It was such a blessing to pick her up and see the life that evolved in two days. I took her outside and sat and talked with the people around me who were also holding babies. Good conversation was held and then a little girl came by. I remembered her also from the other day but couldn't remember her name. We made conversation as I was able to practice more of my Creole. I kept pointing to things and asking her how to say them and she taught me a lot more words--remembering them will be the tricky thing. Another girl came over and eventually they were both doing my hair and I was tickling them (still with the baby in my arms). It was so much fun to have these girls play with my hair, watch them laugh, and conversate with them. I didn't want to leave when it was time.

On our way back home (we walked) many kids congregated and walked with us for a long time. We talked with them and all of a sudden they started stomping their feet and singing "Our God is so God is So Good is So Good" over and over again. Music to our ears! It was incredible. They even helped us find our way back when we weren't exactly sure which way to turn. It was so much fun!

Today was a day of blessings. Blessing in worship, blessing in working with our '3seams' ladies, blessing in working on a new product, blessing holding the kids, blessing in playing with the kids, blessing in communicating with them, blessing in loving them, blessing in meeting, blessing in walking, and blessing in breathing. I am so blessed. Thank you God for this incredible opportunity.

Comments

  1. I have really enjoyed reading your blog!! Haiti has a special place in my heart after years in the D.R. working with mostly Haitians! One of my favorite services was on the west side of the DR, an area with a lot of Haitians. The church was conducted regularly in Spanish and Creole, but this service also included English (for our groups' sake) and Korean (for another mission team's sake). It was like a glimpse of what heaven will be like. In addition to worshiping God in 4 different languages, the Spirit in that building was electric. People gave 100% of themselves in worship to our Father! What a joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I enjoy writing them. Someone encouraged me to do it more regularly and since then I've been addicted :) I'm so glad it is enjoyed, I don't think I'm the one writing them. Its my prayer each time I write them that God's words flow through and they will impact at least one person in some way. Yes, church services here are incredible and so spirit filled! It is a joy and blessing to whitness them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All I Really Want For Christmas

Two Worlds of Medical Care

A little bit of a lot --Haiti thoughts, A Water Truck Run, How lucky I am, and Encouragement