What do I do? Where am I at? What do they do?


I am now living in Lagosette, Haiti (about six miles south of Cap Haitien) at Children of the Promise (COTP). COTP is not an orphanage but a creche because they do not keep the children long term. They take in sick and/or abandoned babies and love them back to health. Their main goal is to eventually reconnect the child with family but when this is not possible they adopt them out.

We have 16-20 babies 0-1, 8 special needs kids (1-5), and 30-40 kids 1-5. Our numbers are always changing. Since I’ve been here I have seen two kids be reunited with their Haitian families, two children go home to their adoptive families, and five children be admitted. This means that there is always something to do around here. There are always babies to help feed, diapers to change, hugs to give, boo-boos to kiss, kids to chase, kids to push in a swing, songs to be sung, loving to give, and attention to give. Luckily for us there is a great staff of Haitian nannies that work here and love these kids. My role here is the preschool teacher.

My first week here I was just responsible for learning what other people’s roles where, getting to know the kids and staff, and figuring out where I would best fit in. This meant I did a lot of baby feeding, a lot of snack making, a lot of tooth brushing, and a lot of talking. After a week I was shown all the supplies for the preschool and was able to run free. All kinds of books, art supplies, fun toys, and more where awaiting. I took a week to go through all of these (as well as doing tasks similar to the ones done a week before) and got very excited. Many ideas where coming to my mind from the books I had available, craft projects and fun crafts where being created in my mind and I was listening to all kinds of fun preschool songs I had forgotten about.

As my excitement increased from these items my nervousness about the first day of preschool approaching increased as well. You see, I do not have any previous training or experience being a preschool teacher. I’ve worked with children in a lot of capacities and taught preschool Sunday school classes, but that was different. I had a curriculum, I had a list of songs, I had a list of crafts, and I would just go pick a snack from the snack cabinet. If there was something I needed or wanted for a project or whatever I’d just stop at the store sometime before Sunday morning and I had it. Here I don’t have that and I can’t do that. Thoughts began forming in my mind “I’m responsible for these children’s education. What if I fail?” and “What if the kids hate preschool, how can I make it fun and let them learn?”

As the first day approached I covered this fear in prayer. The prayer worked so well that the night before I could hardly sleep because I was so excited. The nervousness was completely gone. I started out with six kids in my class each morning five days a week. We have now added two special needs kids who each come one day a week. It took a few weeks of adjustment for the kids and daily learning for me, but now we are in a routine that typically works and the kids are usually eager to learn and play. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are normal days where we sing, read, play, do a simple art project, learn, etc. Thursday is my favorite day of the week where we get to learn about a story in the Bible. This usually involves skits or at least homemade props to aid in them learning the story. We also sing lots of fun Bible Songs and do a small craft as well. Fridays are typically entitled “Friday Fun Days” because we have a fun snack (that I try to match with our theme of the week), do a bigger craft project, and play a game or go to the playground.

A month into the process we started two more classes. These are for the younger three year olds and a couple of our more mobile special needs kids. They each attend two afternoons a week. This class is a lot more challenging because many of these kids have not been in a preschool setting (or any structured setting for that matter) and they know very little English. We have been working a lot on listening skills, setting a schedule that works, and teaching English. I am excited for the day that we can do more fun things like we do in the morning class.

Before I came, I wasn’t sure how much of a ministry role this would be and was feeling a little guilty about the fact that there was a possibility that I was just going back to Haiti because I wanted to be back in this amazing country. But, shortly after being here I’ve realized how important my role is. I get to teach these kids skills that will set a foundation for their life. I get to help them learn or improve their English so they can communicate with their families when they home and get ready for going to school there. I get to teach them Bible stories and show them how real God is and how much he loves them. We get to sing, play, and read together every day. I get to teach them what it means to love God back, teach them about feelings, manners, Christmas, animals, the days of the week, and so much more. This job I have is one of the best in the world (in my mind).

Sometimes I get overwhelmed at the responsibility that lies on my shoulders. I think of all the things I would want my preschooler to know (if I had one) and think it’s impossible to teach them all of these things in just ten hours a week. These kids do not get individual attention very often and don’t have parents to teach them things as they drive down the road or as they walk through the store. But, then I realize I can try. I can do my best and even if it isn’t everything I wish they could know, I know I taught them something. Sometimes I have to hold myself back because I am trying to teach them too much.

My biggest proud teacher moment as of now is how well they know their first Bible verse. On day one I started teaching them Isaiah 12:2. I didn’t know how well they would get it or if they would ever memorize it, but they did. They now recite it without prompt outside of school and it melts my heart each time I hear it. These kids get more than I thought they did. They are smart (when they want to be).

It is such a blessing to be able to be surrounded by kids all the time. These kids are so cute and are always up for playing, cuddling, hugging, loving, running, etc. There surely is never a dull moment here. We are outside of the city and one of the only organizations (if not the only one) in this area. This means we get knocks at the gate at all hours wanting food, medical care, and money. Luckily, we are able to give them medical care and we give food to who everyone knows as the worst off in the community. We also have people who come to our gate wanting to leave their children here. Sometimes we admit the children, but other times we are able to give them the resources to help their children get healthier while staying at home. We have a formula program and a Medika Mamba (medicated peanut butter, packed full of nutrition) program to help parents keep their children nourished even if they do not have the money to do so. We also have a prenatal program to educate mothers, give them basic medical care, and rides to the hospital as needed. This program helps prevent mothers from dying during childbirth and gives them skills to help their children grow “normally” after they are born.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All I Really Want For Christmas

Two Worlds of Medical Care

A little bit of a lot --Haiti thoughts, A Water Truck Run, How lucky I am, and Encouragement