I am thankful for my preschoolers... and so many other things


Thanksgiving… It happened this week (in America at least). I feel like there is an unsaid rule about writing what you are thankful for or talking about what you are thankful for sometime around this Holiday. That isn’t too hard though, we all have so much to be thankful for. I’ll list some of mine later.

Sitting here at 12:37 in the afternoon on the Friday after Thanksgiving and I sit with a thankful heart. I loved preschool this morning. The last week and a half there has been construction going on right next door to the preschool room and having only half walls, the kids easily get distracted by all the action. I’ve been frustrated by repeating myself over and over recently. I’ve been frustrated feeling like the kids are not absorbing anything. I’ve been frustrated at the fact that I was feeling like a failure as a teacher.

We started out the year with actions similar to this, but with corrective discipline and daily structure we moved out of it. I didn’t want to go through all of that again. Today was probably my favorite day of preschool so far. I only had to ask to listen a couple of times and I only had to correct behavior a couple of times. We made pilgrim and Indian hats, we had a “feast” for snack time, we sang crazy songs, and we began making a turkey craft. Days when my kids stay focused are days I (and they) enjoy so much more.

 I am truely thankful for my preschool class. I am thankful I have the opportunity to teach them and love them. I am thankful I get to pray with them, teach them manners, sing silly songs with them, act crazy with them, teach them Bible stories and verses, make up crafts for them, eat snack with them. They are so stinking cute and I love each one of them. I need to remind myself of this when the going gets tough and I feel like our time each day is going nowhere. When I feel like I’m not making a difference at all I need to remember they are learning. Preschoolers are unpredictable to themselves and I need to remember that. I need to remember that they like to play, they like suspense, they like fun, and they like to learn. I am thankful for the opportunity to learn these things hands on. I am thankful for the fact that I enjoy doing crazy preschoolish things every day.

I am thankful there is a community of international people here with me. It’s good to have people to hang out with, people to share fellowship and food with, people who care about each other, and people who can relate to each other. This is something I missed over the last year.

I am thankful there are a ton of kids here. It’s so fun to walk by and hear them chant “Men Tori” (pronounced meh Tori which just means here is or there is Tori). I enjoy being able to go pick up a baby in the little free time I do have and just cuddle them. I love going to the infant room and sitting on the floor and having them crawl or walk up and six of them being on me at once. I like going to the older rooms and holding, playing, jumping, singing, or just acting crazy with them. I love going into our special needs room and singing to them while holding their hand, helping them work on stretching their muscles, holding them, or stroking them. It’s such a blessing to have them all around. Sometimes it can be frustrating, but I love them all very much and they have all blessed me.

I am thankful there is always something to do here. I leave the compound very little, but I don’t get cabin fever. We play games, we joke, we play with kids, I do preschool, I do preschool prep, we sit exhausted, we eat, we laugh, we play, there is never a dull moment here.

I am thankful for my bed in my room. I’m thankful I have the room to go to each night and that I don’t have to sleep on the floor.

I’m thankful for the running water to shower or clean with, the filtered water to drink, toilets that flush, water to cook with, and the list goes on.

I’m thankful for the electricity we have most of the time and the flashlights we can use when it does go out.

I’m thankful for the food I can eat—food that’s made, food I can make, and food I get to get creative and make from scratch.

I’m thankful for my family and the fact that I was able to be with them from the minute I was born. There are so many kids here who have moms and dads that need to be united and living together, but the process just takes too long. I’m thankful for the upbringing I had, the compassion instilled in me at a young age, the example my parents and older siblings have been to me, and the experiences I have had because of them.

I’m thankful for the experiences I have chosen to take advantage of since leaving my parents house and the person they have made me.

I’m thankful I get to live in Haiti and learn more about the culture, language, and its people every day.

I’m thankful for the wireless internet we have had access to in the last week (before we had other sketchy service).

I’m thankful for my creative side and I get to find a way to express it each and every day in so many different ways.

I’m thankful for beginnings and for endings—beginnings are usually more pleasant than the endings, but we need both or we wouldn’t get anywhere.

I’m thankful for my handsome little nephews that make me smile each and every time I see them.

I could go on and on and on and on, but I think you get the picture. Its good to take time to thank God for what you do have. It makes you appreciate things a little more and makes you remember that even if a situation isn’t pleasant at the moment it has had at least one good reason for making its way into your life.

I’m so blessed to get to teach these kids. I get to instill a love of learning, a confidence, a love for God, a pleasant way to interact with friends, and so much more. I’m blessed that they forgive me for the mistakes I make and the fact that I am learning daily.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Worlds of Medical Care

All I Really Want For Christmas

A little bit of a lot --Haiti thoughts, A Water Truck Run, How lucky I am, and Encouragement