Seamstress Training Day 1

Today was day one of seamstress training. Something I've been excited for but extremely nervous for ever since I moved to Haiti. I've been excited to hire more people to give more Haitians jobs, but I was nervous to do the hiring and training part. I have never hired or trained anyone for a job--not to mention a job I only know very little about in a language I only know few words in. Really? God, what are you trying to teach me through this. My prayer has been a constant "Give me words, wisdom, guidence, strength, skills, and knowlege because I'm sure not equipped for this task."

Well, the day came. I didn't want to get out of bed because it was almost one before I finally fell asleep. From the time my feet hit the floor in the morning I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I had to make sure there were enough working machines set up, I swept the floor, and got supplies out. I had to come over to the guest house to write down information from an e-mail (I have no internet at my house) and scarfed down two pancakes with nothing on them and a glass of water while on the go. The seamstress came early and I wasn't prepared for that because most people are running behind in Haiti (yes, I think I do belong here). I took her over to the house, introduced her to the ladies that were already working and told her I would be back and that we were waiting for two more people. In the middle of this chaos, one machine's foot broke and I tried to switch it with feet from other machines. None worked--they were different kinds of machines, but it was worth a try. I ended up switching a machine as the other two came in and in the process of pulling out stuck fabric I jabbed a needle into my finger. That hurts like all get out!

Finally, we had enough machines ready to go and I showed the new people where things were and started showing them the first project we wanted them to do. They began cutting and I was instantly amazed at the teamwork these three strangers had right away. They explained things to each other that one understood and others didn't and helped each other out in whatever way was needed. I thought I had a breather, but one of the ladies that already worked for us was having issues with her machine again. Throughout all of this chaos, my first instinct was amazingly not what my normal first instict was and I told God he was in control. I told him I wasn't going to stress out over stuff like that and it was all in his hands--I wish I did that more often, it helps! Finally things settled down, I ran over to say goodbye to the team and stood there realizing I was still breathing. It was a good break.

Things seemed to be going well and soon the three new people moved on to to sewing the product. They had some issues with threading the machine but one of them helped the others figure it out. They began sewing, but didn't quite understand what I showed them. The ladies we already had working for us, jumped out of their chairs and showed them how to make this. I was so proud of our ladies and their selfless actions today. They gave up precious time to make items (they get paid per item) to help the "newbies". I was in my room at one point and came out to our ladies showing the new people wha they had done wrong and need to work on. This is my least favorite part of the job, so I'm all for someone else taking this duty on.

A little while later the new seamstress said she couldn't see well enough to do what we needed her to do and asked if she could leave. I was surprised by that and wondered why she showed up in the first place. But, on our way out, she told me it was not easy to find a job with her bad eyes and I wished so badly there was something else I could do for her. She can't go collect disability because she can't see well. I wondered if just a simple pair of glasses would help her out and wondered if since she can't find work how she was going to be able to get glasses. What would a pair of glasses do for her life? I sat there feeling helpless after she left.

Later on in the day I put on my quality control hat and checked items and pointed out problems. I hope they take these and learn from them and do not do these same problems in the future. One new person is great at straight lines, the other is great with the machines and knows some English. We will see how these guys skills improve over the next week and see if they can become employees of  '3seams.'

That is today in a summed up version. Exciting, nerve wrecking, crazy, chaotic, fun, stressful, busy, painful, weird, and interesting. Hey, its Haiti--I never have a day like any other here. I never know what will happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All I Really Want For Christmas

Two Worlds of Medical Care

A little bit of a lot --Haiti thoughts, A Water Truck Run, How lucky I am, and Encouragement