Elder Care and a Visit To Grace Village

This morning I knew the day was going to run a little like the following: Elderly in the morning and Grace Village in the afternoon. Spending time with the elderly is not my passion, its not where my heart lies, and its not something I have spent a lot of time doing before. From teams that have came through in the past weeks, I heard this was an incredible experience. I was up for a new adventure and couldn't wait to experience this part of Healing Haiti.

Our first stop was the Haitian market in Titanyen. I had never walked through one of these, but had seen many from the side or from a distance. This was an experience in itself. Our mission was to buy fruit, vegetables, hot food, and drinks to take to these elderly people. There was so much action going on, goats bleating and sounding like kids crying (their legs were tied up and they were laying on thier side), people where shouting what they had for sale, staring at the blancs, trying to get to where they needed to get to, and exchanging goods and money. Fruits, vegetables, livestock, shoes, clothes, medicine, hot already made food, etc. of all sorts and kinds were lined up. Market day on Friday of each week is quite the event in Titanyen.

On our way to the houses, we were able to read bios of these people. Each one of them has a different story, a different name, different needs, but were all the forgotten elderly. These elderly have outlived their children and are either left to raise their grandchildren or have no family left at all. Reading these bios made me think of my own grandparents (who are older than most of them) and left me wondering what it would be like for them to be alone. How would it feel to live such a long life (the life expectency here in Haiti is only 50 years), have such vast knowledge, but have no one to come visit? What would it feel like to have nothing to look forward to? No way to make an income? To not know how you can get your medicine needed to live life? Healing Haiti has adopted about 30 of these people and have a couple of Haitians who visit them threeish times a week and the teams that come through visit about six a week.

Angeline

The first house we visited was a cement room. A lady, Angeline, was sitting on the floor on a blanket, unable to move anything on her right side but so excited to have us visit her. She welcomed us in with a big smile and thanked us profusely for the food. We chatted with her for a while and found out her only living family was a grandson, but he didn't come visit very often. She's lived in this house for three years. When the elderly team found her the first time she was sitting in her own feces because she has an incotinece problem. Her bed was a wire bedframe with cardboard on it as a mattress and some sheets. Cardboard for a mattress????? We had someone playing the guitar and she loved the music and showed us that by raising her hand in praise and swaying to the music. She had previously recieved a talking Bible from Healing Haiti and said it was like having a friend. Can you imagine a talking box being your greatest companion? I'm so glad she's able to hear God's word and know how much he loves her and cares about her. We were able to rub lotion on her legs, arms, and back in hopes that the touch would help her feel more human. At the end we prayed with her and I was nominated to do so. It was incredible to take the time to pray for this beautiful woman and afterwards I gave her a huge hug.



Next we went to visit Jude Jean Paul. He isn't elderly at all, but only 20 years old. When he was about five years old he had a series of seizures that has left him immobile and unable to do anything for himself. His mother has been an incredible caretaker for him for these last 15 years. She has been faithful to him. They too live in a one room cement building. He has a bed and I think she shares it with him. All of their stuff were hanging on the wall in a bag and they had a small counter full of medicine for Jude. We rubbed lotion on both of their arms and legs and prayed with them as well.

We also went to see Edmond who was blind and partially deaf. He started eating his food right away and seemed very hungary. This man was in a part cement part tent room that felt like a sauna. We were sweating more in there than we did in the hot sun. He only had a bed and a plastic chair and the ten of us that were there barely fit in. He didn't say a lot, but seemed to appreciate the visitors. He has a sister-in-law that lives nearby, but she is sick as well and can't come visit him. What would it be like to be blind and have no one come visit you?

Another man we stopped to visit was named Dieufort. He has absolutely no family left, but does have a friend (also in the elderly program) who has leprosy. He gives up part of the space in his little home as space for people who work at the market. He was very appreciative of our visit and loved having us pray for him.

The last stop we mad was with Maricia. She had so much energy and a huge smile. Her spirit was incredibly beautiful. She has a teenage granddaugther who lives with her and thanked God over and over again for the food we brought her. She took pride in the little house she has and has a love for animals. She told us she loved reading her Bible and wanted a new one becuase her old one looked worn from the many times she read it. She was so welcoming and was appreciative of the prayer we prayed for her (that I was again nominated for). It was a blessing to be nominated as this isn't something I would jump up and volunteer for, but doing it felt incredible. She was so sweet and beautiful.

Looking at these "houses" these elderly lived in made me again want to know what it is like to live like a Haitian. Yes, I live in Haiti, but I do not live like a typical Haitian. I have no idea what it is like to live without electricity most of the time (or all the time), I don't know what its like to not have running water (or a bathroom for that matter), and I don't know what its like to not have a kitchen (no place to keep food or prepare food). These people had little ventilation and the temperature jumped 20 degrees as we stepped inside their homes. What if my grandparents were living there? What if my granparents (one fighting cancer and the other unable to walk very far) were left alone to waste away and die. I'm so greatful I still have family where my grandparents live who can go visit and check on them as I miss stopping in and seeing how they are doing. I miss sharing a meal with them every now and then. I miss helping them do puzzles or playing Boggle with them. I miss chatting with my grandma and their hugs. I can't imagine them living life without visitors or any of us family around.

Then we went to Grace Village to play with the kids. I had met these kids when we took them to the beach two weeks ago, but didn't know if they would remember me or not. Before I even got off the tap tap one boy (Jeffry) looked inside and told everyone I went to the beach with them. It felt so good to be remembered. He immediately grabbed my hand and took me over to the boys dorm and showed me to his friends. Later he asked me to be his wife--he's a little young for me! Him and a few other boys hung around me for a while and some girls also loved on me as I loved on them. One girl stuck to my side as we sung, played on the playground, and sat on my lap was we watched a movie. She got excited when I told her I would be back on Sunday for church and asked if I could spend the night :)

Playing with these kids is fun, but my favorite is listening to them sing. Watching them worship God with all their heart and soul is incredible. Before we left, they started singing Thank You. You know the one about thanking someone for giving to the Lord because I am a life that was changed? Listening to them sing that song I knew they were telling nothing but the truth. Their lives have been changed because of people giving to the Lord. Not one person, but a whole slew of people--donating, coming on trips, planning, scheduling, giving their time, giving their love, and investing in their lives. It made me feel so blessed that I can have a small part in that. Somedays I want to be a world changer like Mother Theresa, but knowing I'm a part of helping these kids lives be changed should be enough for now. Next they sang a song that is contninually stuck in my head as it is a daily prayer for my life.

"Take my life and let it be, all for you and for your glory. Take my life and let it be... Glory to God, Glory to God, Glory to God forever..." It is my earnest prayer that my life is God's. All of it, working for his Glory and His alone. I hope I will always give Him the glory and honor that is due. I want to do what God wants me to do simply because that is where I can make the most impact for His kingdom. As I hear these kids sing, I pray that their words ring true. That they feel this way as well. If 40 kids in Titanyen grow up with this mind set, how much of an impact can each one of them make on their country? Its incredible to think of the possibilies of leadership and servitude to God that these kids can have!

It was sad leaving today even though I knew I will see them again on Sunday. The kids at Grace Village had a way of ripping your heart out and jumping in it. They are all so beautiful and full of life and love. I'm so blessed to be able to get to know them as often as I can tag along with the teams up there. I'm so blessed to live in Haiti and even more blessed to live next to Healing Haiti where I can tag along with them to do things like today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All I Really Want For Christmas

Two Worlds of Medical Care

A little bit of a lot --Haiti thoughts, A Water Truck Run, How lucky I am, and Encouragement