A day with the Sick and Dying

Today was a bit less exciting than most days I blog about and a whole lot more sad.

Has your skin ever been so dry that all you wanted was some lotion to put moisture back into it?
Have you ever been so sick that you couldn't go anywhere for any length of time and wished for visitors?
Have you ever wanted a massage so badly because your muscles were so tight?

Today, I had the blessing of being all three to many women at the home for sick and dying adults. I had never been here before and didn't really know what to expect, but I was up for a new experience. I was told we were going to rub lotion on these people. I know how to apply lotion, I've been doing that for 20ish years, lets go. The thought was kind of wierd, like we were rubbing up strangers, but I figured they would like it, so I was willing.

The ladies would rearrange their positions to ensure we did not miss any spots. Their frail bodies would make the efforts to lift thier legs or their arms even though we could have done it for them. There was a mixture between skin that sagged off of bones so thin because every ounce of strength had dissappeared and skin that has hard and rough from years of walking everywhere and being in the sun. They all took a lot of lotion as their dry skin needed a drink. Can you imagine laying in bed all day with nothing to do but lay there? Our driver knew how to play the guitar and did so while we were applying the lotion. This music made them liven up. When we got there, it was dead silent but before we left it sounded like a loud choir was there, arms were being lifted, and hands were clapping. These people who were basically on their death bed were worshipping our Creator with every ounce of strength they had left in them! What a site to see. Looking in their eyes in the begining I couldn't find a smile in me, but as they were worshipping I couldn't help but smile.

We left there and went to Gertrude's orphanage for special needs kids. They were a lot of fun as always. We helped feed them and played outside with the kids. We helped them swing, sang some songs, helped them on these cars that are moved with their hands, became human jungle gyms for them, and loved on them as they loved on us.

After Gertrude's we headed to The Home for Sick and Dying Babies. I was excited to see the progress my little seven month old was making and to get hugs and a new hair doo from my sweet little nine year old. We walked in and a boy snagged me first (I think it was the same one I talked about the last time I went there). I loved on him for a while and then he got some food and I hadn't yet seen my girl, so I went downstairs to find my baby.

I was disappointed to find out she had the feeding tube back in and was now hooked up to an IV. I picked her up and took her outside to sit in a chair. This was definately emotional for me as my optimism for her life disapeared. She's so weak and frail. She tried to cough several time but didn't have the energy to get the full cough out. At one point she tried to cry, but it was more of a moaning noise. My little baby was worse than the first time I held her. She could not get comfortable in any positioin I would put her in and made little groaning noises like a child who is sick makes. The only way I could keep the tears from streaming down my cheeks was to sing worship songs to God and to her. She seemed to enjoy the songs and was a little more comfortable and relaxed as I did so. I held her for most of the time we were there and did not want to put her back in her crib when it was I felt so much potential for her life. She was doing better and better, but I guess you get better before you get worse... Then, to add on top of that, I never saw my little nine year old. My hope is that she is well enough to be back home with her parents, but I missed her today. I left there feeling sad and fighting back tears (and those tears are coming as I type this). God has these beautiful babies and kids in His hands and I have to trust that his plan is greater than mine.

A little seven month old has changed my life. I know she has served a purpose in this life even if she only does get to live seven short months. Do not ever, think your life does not have a purpsoe. She's beautiful and I love her. While I prayed for her to get better today I also prayed that God would hold her in his loving arms. She will have a much better life in Heaven than in Haiti and I trust that God knows exactly what he is doing.

We came back to the house and I drove (yes, I drove in Haiti) to go get the World's best Pizza for dinner. A good way to end a heartbreaking day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Worlds of Medical Care

All I Really Want For Christmas

A little bit of a lot --Haiti thoughts, A Water Truck Run, How lucky I am, and Encouragement