One Year with J and A

Today we celebrate these two living with us for a year. It seems crazy to think that a whole year has passed by. I didn’t know it yet, but I was grieving when I said I was ready for more kids-6 seemed like such a small number. In ways I could have never planned, and ways these two will probably never know, they have helped me heal.


A February 2017
A was eight months old when he moved in. We started with his crib in my room because he was so young and we really wanted to promote good bonding since he had had so many different caregivers in his life already. So many nights I’d hold him way past him falling asleep, staring at his handsome face, thanking God for this blessing. Ever since then A’s favorite place to be is in my arms. He has a lot of love to give. We have loved watching his personality come out lately. He loves to have other people chase him, play peek a boo of various varieties, and surprises us with new words every day. It has been so fun to watch him grow and learn over the last year. Kid, you may frustrate me often, but you show me everyday how we should love others. You teach me a lot and we will learn so much more together over the next year.


J December 2016
J moved in at 3 1/2. He has cerebral palsy and has struggled for what seems like most of his life with getting adequate nutrition. When he moved in I knew it would be a challenge to figure out what works best for him to gain weight and an NG tube was a likely possibility. There has definitely been a lot of challenges in the last year with him—countless NG tube changes, a week stint with oxygen and an IV, a fractured bone, too many weigh ins with lost weight, a ridiculous amount of vomit, a few days on an IV from throwing up blood, and just a month ago a g-tube surgery. We’ve also enjoyed so many smiles, contagious laughter, a language and a bond between each other that can’t be explained, and overall growth of two clothing sizes in nine months. J has taught me so much in the last year. He helped me realize I needed to heal and gave me so many opportunities to work on doing so while loving me through it all. J, I love your belly laugh and how excited you can get about things that most of us would not take an extra second to think about. You are so smart and are showing us more things you know everyday.



J and A, I’m so glad you guys are a part of the Life House. I’m so glad you guys moved in when you did. I’m pretty sure I needed each of you and I think you both needed me. I’m so thankful for your hugs, your cuddles, your laughter, and the ways you both look at me that is different than the ways you look at anyone else. You both have a sparkle in your eyes that forces me to smile when I look at you. I love the bond I have with each of you; one that I’m pretty sure is stronger than you have with anyone else. Your laughter at the end of a long day helps make everything worth it. You two are a blessing, both to the Life House and to my life.
A December 2017

J December 2017
*Children of the Promise has given explicit permission for the posting of photos on this site. Photos taken of children in the care of Children of the Promise are not to be posted publicly without explicit permission given by Children of the Promise.  

Comments

  1. Such a sweet post about two very sweet boys! I'm so thankful they have you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All I Really Want For Christmas

Two Worlds of Medical Care

A little bit of a lot --Haiti thoughts, A Water Truck Run, How lucky I am, and Encouragement