Why?

So, I guess it is about time I posted in this. I've had it for a couple of months and its been sitting idle.

I've been in Haiti for almost two weeks now. Lots has happened. Lets see (in no real order)...
I've met a lot of people
Learned more Creole
Taught a new project to the seamstresses
Discovered the world of Skype <3
Peeled a coconut with a machete, drank the juice, and ate the hardish stuff inside
Cut a whole bunch of canvas
Ate at a really good bakery
Played with some pretty cool and funny kids
Ate some great meals
Forgot to eat a lot of meals
Got sick
Went to church
Discovered more about myself
Lost any sort of sanitation habbits I had
Wished I had a remote from Click only to mute to the roosters at 3:30am in the morning, luckily I fall right back asleep
Ironed more in the last week and half than I have in my entire life (probably ironed about 50 times more)
Cleaned dog poop off a toddler's foot
Laughed a lot
Cried some
Seen people live in places no human should have to call home
Solved Problems
Caused Problems
Watched some kids so their parents could enjoy a night out with friends (their parents never get to do this kind of thing)
Watched some movies
Took cold showers
Became friends with cockroaches, Geckos, Spiders, and lots of bugs
Umm that's all I can think of now

The last couple of days I've really been thinking. Why am I here? I mean I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that God has called me here, but why? Not that I am complaining, I love being here in Haiit. I cannot wait to experience more of thier culture and see more of thier country. I love that I am helping the Haitian people help themselves. Should I ask why or should I just be obedient and do what He has called me to do? Can I do what He's called me to do even if I don't know why?

I mean, I'm supervising a seamstress program and I really don't even know how to sew!?! But God must have some purpose in this, He always does. I really don't have the talents it takes to do what I am doing. I don't know Creole, I don't know how to sew, I never use an iron, I don't have a good history with knives, and I'm not a great supervisor. All of those things are vital to what I am doing. Why did God send Tori Rayle to work with '3seams' in Haiti. I know He has a purpose. I do know though, that I can love.

I don't know how long it will take me to know His purpose, but I do know He has one. Early this afternoon I realized that without any of these talents I know I am not being used down here. Well, my body is being used, but it is all God. I cannot say what I am doing here is being accomplished because of my talents because its not. The only thing Tori Rayle can do is love... and that's a gift from God anyway so Tori Rayle can't even love if it weren't for God. When one accomplished something by performing a talent they have been given, it is easy to take credit but in reality God should be given the Glory. Here, I cannot take credit for anything I do because none of these things I am doing are talents God has given me.

I can pick up a crying child, but that compassion comes from God. I can give grace to a seamstress who has made a mistake, but that grace is from God. I can cut fabric, but its by the Grace of God that I don't cut myself :) I can act silly with the kids, but God has given me the love for children and the ability to let myself go and be "one of them." I can love each and every person I come in contact with, but that is just God's love flowing through me. God has placed me right here where He wants me to be. I cannot see why yet, but the great thing about that is He already knows why, I just had to be obedient.

I know God has put me here for a reason, so the only thing I can do right now is pray that God is seen in me, through me, by me, etc. I can pray that my actions are His actions, my thoughts are His thoughts, my words are His words, my timing is His timing, my strength is His strength, and my love is His love. I can pray that I do not get in the way of what God is trying to accomplish here in Haiti but I can only help it proceed.

Well that's all I have for now. I hope this encourages you in some way. Let God control your whole being no matter if you feel qualified to do what you are doing or not. "God does not call the equipped, He equips the called!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All I Really Want For Christmas

Two Worlds of Medical Care

A little bit of a lot --Haiti thoughts, A Water Truck Run, How lucky I am, and Encouragement